Experts tell us that social distancing and hand washing are the best measures for reducing the likelihood of getting sick – and that’s especially important now.
Besides physical ailments from the pandemic, the World Health Organization (WHO) also tells us that about 300 million people suffer from an anxiety disorder, and that was before Covid-19! There is something else we can we do to take back control over our mental and physical well-being.
It doesn’t have to be complicated or controversial or costly. It’s a simple, daily part of our life – our diet. Specifically, we can add foods to our diet that boost our immune systems and significantly reduce the risk of many diseases from the common cold and flu to cancer and anxiety.
Immune systems are the lifeline for fighting off nature’s attacks on our living systems. There are many great metaphors for how they protect us from harm. If you’re in the mood for a good one, check out “Five Life Lessons from Your Immune System”.
One way to help ourselves is by being more conscious and controlling of the foods we consume. That means getting nutrition for vitality in the short and long term. As we age, changes to our cells, tissues and organs affect how our bodies function. We require more maintenance to improve and sustain our health.
There is plenty of research to suggest that a highly effective strategy is to get most of what our body needs from whole plants and particularly those with highly, sought-after medicinal qualities. My gut (pardon the pun) tells me that it should also reduce our anxiety a little, and that is good for all of us.
We have discovered many plants with some of the most powerful properties to support or boost our immune response. Our drinks deliver these plants raw, whole, unrefined and unprocessed without any additives (flavors, fragrances, coloring), sugars or synthetic vitamin replacements.
Here is a list of the Top 4 Unique Immune Boosting Plants that you may have never heard of. They also happen to be the backbone of Tamam Life’s plant-based beverages.
1. Triphala (trif'-fa-la), which literally means three fruits (pictured above), comes from trees that grow in India and the Middle East. This trifecta of fruits (shown above) - Amalaki, Haritaki and Bibhitaki - are dried, ground into powder, and blended in a precise manner developed by the ancient Ayurvedic (Science of Life) herbalists. The quickest delivery of its benefits come by mixing then digesting it in liquid form.
In India, Amalaki is known as the “nurse herb” because it strengthens the immune system and cools the body. Haritaki is sought after to treat cholesterol and reduce damage in the arteries from fatty diets. Bibhitaki, in Sanskrit means the “one who keeps you away from disease". It contains unique healing properties like very few other plants. Mostly, it was used to treat illnesses affecting the lungs, intestine, and urinary tract.
There's no need to pick just one - this blend contains potent rejuvenating and healing properties such as:
- Powerful antioxidants, containing 20 times more vitamin C than orange juice.
- Better digestion, with laxative powers and astringent properties to rid the body of toxins.
- Eliminates excess mucous in the body and provides support for a variety of lung conditions, including bronchitis and asthma.
- Helps with heart and blood pressure.
2. Cordyceps (Mushrooms) - also known as caterpillar fungi are mainly found at high elevations in Tibet and India. In traditional Chinese medicine, Cordyceps are touted as one of the most effective foods for supporting a healthy immune response. And they have some of the most powerful immunoboosting properties of any mushroom. One of the most potent constituents of mushrooms is ergothioneine, an amino acid only synthesized by fungi. It is used medicinally to combat cognitive decline, treat liver and kidney problems and varying health concerns.
Mushrooms deliver a diverse set of benefits with antiviral, antibacterial and antioxidant powers. They are a fully functional food containing proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals, and are widely researched in pharmacological studies as a medicinal food. Some benefits include:
- Boosts immunity against diseases/viruses
- Combats cognitive decline
- Modulates immune systems for greater effectiveness
- Supports healthy circulation, respiration and lung function
- Used to treat coughs, chronic bronchitis and respiratory disorders
- Combats depression with natural vitamin D nutrients
3. Rosehips – as its name implies, comes for the rose plant. They are the seeded fruit of the rose plant; the bright red or yellow bulbs that remain on the plant after the petals fall off. You may have already had them in a tea. For years, they have been used to cure arthritis, varicose veins, bladder infections and more. Did you know that they have more vitamin C than citrus fruit? And they’re loaded with Vitamins E, K, and the Bs, folates and essential fatty acids. They also contain polyphenols, bioflavonoids and carotenoids that act as astringents, bactericides and viricides (bacteria and virus killers).
Although less exotic than some of its immune-boosting counterparts, rosehips are a great natural infection fighter! And if that isn’t enough, they’re good for your skin – increasing blood flow and cellular turnover. Rose hips have been used in facial toners, creams, hair products and or skin supporting blood circulation for generations.
Important natural benefits of rosehips:
- Support healthy immune system response to fight cold & flu
- Help the body metabolize fat
- Protects tissues from free radical damage
- Helps with kidney & urinary tract health
4. Camu Camu – is a “miracle fruit” from the Amazon. Perhaps the most exotic of the bunch of immune boosters, it is a berry that can be found from Peru to Brazil. Studies of the camu camu fruit have shown it to be a functional food for the prevention of immune-related diseases. It is a natural source of betulinic acid (also found in Birch tree bark), which has potent anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It has been used to treat cancers due to its anti-tumor activity.
The rainforest has been called the “world’s pharmacy” for its wide range of medicinal plants and fruits. These superfoods inside nature’s largest “medicine cabinet” are used to cover many ailments. With an estimated 25% of all drugs used today coming from rainforest plant properties, it’s no surprise that camu camu and its Amazonian fruit tribe can help treat many ailments. We love camu camu - but it’s just one of thousands more with healing abilities.
Benefits of camu camu include:
- 1180% percent of daily vitamin C in 1 tsp
- Used to reduce or control weight
- Reduces cholesterol as natural hypolipidemic agent
- Used for skin, hair loss and rosacea
- Improves blood sugar control for antidiabetic effects
- DNA damage and cancer protection effects
These four immune-boosting foods will not prevent Covid-19 or cure it once you get it. But we are being reminded daily that people most at risk are those with compromised immune systems. And these foods help support your body’s natural immune response.
We tell our kids to make good choices. Making good choices on what we eat and drink, in addition to exercise, is one of the best ways to ensure our overall health. In the process of taking control of our health and well-being, we may start to feel a little less anxious – and that’s a good thing.
While nothing is going to entirely protect us from getting sick, shouldn’t we use what nature gave us in the form of these and other medicinal plants to strengthen us against the diseases of today... and tomorrow? Eat, drink and be healthy – and please keep washing those hands and maintaining your physical distance.
Be safe and be well!
Disclaimer: The information presented here is in no way intended as medical advice or as a substitute for medical treatment. You should always consult with your physician or other health care professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, beginning any diet, nutrition or fitness plan or adopting any treatment for a health problem, whether offered on this site or otherwise.
Do you have a product with the special four immunity boosting plants? I would purchase it!!!